Next Canton School Board Election- April 2013
School district elections are non-partisan, governed by the general election laws of the state, and include the election Board of Education members, various public policy propositions, and advisory questions. Board of Education members are elected at the consolidated election held on the first Tuesday in April in odd numbered years. If however, that date conflicts with the celebration of Passover, the consolidated election is postponed to the first Tuesday following the last day of Passover. The canvass of votes is conducted by the election authority within 21 days after the election.
Board of Education Duties
1. The Board, by proper resolution, may place public policy propositions on the ballot
2. The Board President, Secretary, and the member with the longest continuous service, whose nominating petition is not being challenged, compose the Education Officers Electoral Board to hear and rule on objections to candidate nominating petitions and voter petitions.
3. The Board Secretary or clerk serves as the local election official, assisted by designated representatives appointed by the board.
For more information, please contact the CUSD #66 Administration office at 20 W. Walnut St., Canton, IL 61520 or 309-647-9411.
April 9, 2013 School Board Election
Timeline for Filing
The timeline for candidates to file nominating papers at the Canton School District 66 Administration Office, located at 20 West Walnut Street, Canton, for the April 9, 2013 school board election is as follows:
First day that candidates may file nominating papers with the board secretary for the April 9, 2013 school board election is Monday, December 17, 2012, beginning at 8:00 am when the office opens for business. Due to recent action by the state legislature, the last day that candidates may file nominating papers with the board secretary is Wednesday, December 26, 2012. The office will be closed on Monday, December 24, and Tuesday, December 25. Please note that the administration office closes at 4:00 pm each weekday, other than on the last day for filing (Wednesday, December 26, 2012) when the office will remain open until 5:00 pm as required by law.
To File Objections to School Board Candidate Nominating Papers:
The Canton Union School District 66 Administration Office, located at 20 West Walnut Street, Canton, will be open on the following dates and times during the winter break in order to receive objections to nominating papers for school board candidates:
- 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 pm on December 27, 28, & 31 and January 2 (Office closed January 1, 2013)
- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm. on January 3
Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 5:00 pm is the last day for individuals to file objections to the nominating papers of candidates who have filed for the April 9, 2013 school board election.